According to scientists, approximately 75% of skin ageing is due to external factors whilst around 25% is down to our genes. It was previously believed that we have no control over the genetic factors that cause the ageing of the our skin. New research has shown that external factors such as lifestyle and the environment have a huge effect on how well our genes can maintain healthy skin. This study of how external factors affect the genes is called Epigenetics and it has led to the discovery that, to a degree, we can actually influence the behaviour of our genes to achieve their optimal performance.
To get how this relates to our skin, we need to understand the basics:
- Our cells make up our entire bodies, including our skin.
- Skin cells produce proteins that are essential for the their function.
- Using these proteins, the cells regenerate which is crucial for youthful skin.
- Within each cell is our DNA: The complete set of instructions that tell our cells what to do
- Each individual instruction is called a gene.